I’m with Johnny Baker, National Director of Celebrate Recovery talking about overcoming our hurts, hang-ups and our habits with Celebrate Recovery.
We talk about his own powerful story of recovery and the truth that God wants us healthy and doing the work of getting healthy is some of the most important work we’ll ever do.
In this episode we discuss:
1. What exactly is Celebrate Recovery.
2. How we need Jesus and each other in order for recovery to happen.
3. How finding freedom takes action.
Click here to listen in iTunes.
Click here to listen on Soundcloud.
Click here to listen on Google Play.
Click here to listen on Stitcher.
Click here to listen on Spotify.
1. There is nothing wrong with reading your Bible. Its an important part of our Christian life and it’s an important part of Celebrate Recovery, but so many of us need more than just that sort of band-aid approach. We need a step-by-step process to help us get closer to Jesus.
2. The truth about Celebrate Recovery is that it’s a discipleship process. It helps us get closer to God, closer to Jesus through this step by step guide. For so many of us, it's really hard to take that first step but its such an important part of the journey.
3. The Bible tells us in James 5:16 to confess your sins to one another and pray for each other so that you may be healed. There’s such power in telling someone else what’s going on in your life. If we want to be forgiven, we tell God. If we want to be healed, we tell and pray for each other.
4. No change happens until the pain exceeds our fear of change.
5. Pain gets our attention and it prepares us to help other people who are struggling.
6. If you are going through a hard time, there is a reason for it and Jesus cares about it.
7. We want microwave results but recovery is like a crockpot...it takes time.
8. There’s a desire for us to appear normal. We have it all together, we’re in control. I don’t need recovery, I don’t need therapy. Thank you very much. Leave me alone. And it’s normal to protect yourself and not talk about things. There’s this idea in recovery that “those poor people who need help, I’m so glad I’m not one of them”. The truth is, we’re all “those people.”
9. We need to do whatever it takes to get healthy because God wants us to live an abundant life.
In this episode I answer these questions:
1. What is your all-time favorite podcast to listen to? (33:50)
2. Is it true that God never gives us more than we can handle? (35:48)
3. I want to start a side business to bring in income for the family, but I don’t know if I have the personality for it. How do I know if I can make it work? (39:33)
Links to great things we discussed:
Gainful Growth (You’ll find the half off code is programmed for you this week!)
Hope you loved this episode! Be sure to subscribe in iTunes and slap some stars on a review! :)